Building your website is the first step in a series of obligations one must take to grow a business online. Capitalizing on Google’s complex search algorithm is a must in the world of e-commerce. An SEO specialist or search engine optimization agency should outline their own plan that will ordinarily include, but not limited to, ten key functions used to optimize your SEO capabilities.
Conduct Analysis of Website, Niche and Competitors
An SEO specialist will undertake five key steps after being granted access to the site’s analytics:
- Check the website’s visibility in SERP (search engine results page) and organize through varying volume of keywords (high, medium and low frequency)
- Analyze market competitors to determine what to focus on within the niche promotion strategy.
- Analyze websites of leaders within the market niche.
- Suggest optimal changes using knowledge of the market.
- Use SERP data to analyze forthcoming customer behavior.
The SEO specialist will now have a promotion strategy based on extensive research into market competitors and via their own website analysis. Next they will form the basis of their primary semantic core – a collection of keywords organized in clusters based on frequency.
This will be an exhaustive list of words that will be compiled over the course of several months. These keywords will:
- Form the structure of the website.
- Generate meta tags (code that will help tell search engines about the content of each page)
- Form the landing page text.
- Conduct off-page SEO.
Extensive Structuring of the Site
The structure of your website will ultimately affect it’s rank within SERP. To improve keywords website ranking on a relevant search page, your website will need a broad structure with a designated landing page for each keyword group.
Online retailer ASOS is a good example as they have a broad structure using specific keyword groups. This is an effective way to structure your site as it clarifies the theme of each landing page and makes the user experience as smooth as possible – attracting more users. Smooth customer experience ranks highly with Google. Categorizing your pages in this way gives greater relevance to each keyword page – improving its search visibility.
On-page SEO Optimization
On-page SEO refers to the optimization you can do to your own website with the intention of increasing web traffic. A search engine optimization agency will do the following:
- Structure a user-friendly URL.
- User-friendly navigation from page to page.
- Optimize meta tag description.
- Increase site speed and page loading.
- Produce relevant and quality content.
Setting up internal site linking
Internal site linking is the process of linking of your several landing pages. This is simple to do but critically important to page ranking. Cross-linking your pages will grant both users and Google seamless access to every corner or your site. Remember: some of your pages may not appear on the search engine index without internal site linking.
Optimizing the crawling budget
Optimizing the crawling budget is a task that should be left to experienced SEO specialists. The crawl budget is the number of pages Google will ‘crawl’ or scan at one time in a given day. The number of pages, or your ‘budget’, will determine the general health and ranking of your site.
Ways to optimize your crawl budget include:
- Site maintenance to reduce errors.
- Block irrelevant page filters from indexing.
- Increase external link building.
It must be reiterated that finding ways to optimize the crawl budget is a difficult and delicate matter and should be left to SEO specialists.
Improving the website usability
Reducing the bounce rate of your site is an SEO guarantee. Google will notice if users are clicking on your site and immediately leaving after a matter of seconds. This suggests to Google that your site contains irrelevant information and the consequence will be a demotion of page ranking. Aim to improve the usability of your site by producing relevant content and making it mobile friendly.
Utilize Off-Page SEO
Off-page SEO can improve your website ranking in SERPs. Off-page SEO methods include: link building, social media marketing (SMM) and social bookmarking. If your website is high quality and contains relevant information it will be viewed as more authoritative and:
- Contain more references from external websites (link building)
- Have more mentions on various social media platforms (SMM)
- Bookmarked by users in the relevant communities (social bookmarking)
Increase Your Conversion Rates
Increasing your conversion rates is critical and a constant process of any business. Increased conversion rates leads to an overall increase in revenue and an improvement in page rank – as it tells Google that you are providing a consistent service to consumers. Here are some simple and cost effective methods to increase conversion:
- Publish ALL product reviews (even the negative)
- Improve the quality of images on your site
- Clearly display your contact information
- Prioritize and showcase your site security
- Follow up on cart abandonment
Optimizing for the Long Haul
SEO promotion is a long and arduous process. The ever-changing needs of the consumer and Google’s constantly evolving algorithm mean a lot of work is required. Keeping the site’s content relevant, updating meta tags, setting up internal site linking and backlinks is a fulltime job. However, the results suggest that the end justifies the means.
SEO promotion ultimately provides reliable results and the work is definitely worth it. It’s the SEO guarantee. Just keep at it!